1. Check, to my last commenter, on trying to find something positive in this experience. I’m working on that.
2. Interestingly enough, it’s not the place that I don’t feel at home in, it’s more the strange collection of individuals who are brought together to be writers that feels, well, awkward and un-home-like in this place.
3. That said, I most certainly LIKE plenty of these people.
4. And with them, I’ve had some truly fun moments, not school or writing related at all.
5. I have been reminding myself that knowing people for years and years and years is quite different from knowing people for a few months.
6. My friend c. asked me: Is it that you feel like you’d feel it by now if you were going to be good friends? (I’m paraphrasing)
7. My answer: Yes. I think I’d feel it.
8. Her answer: Maybe these are not the people you are meant to be good friends with.
9. My answer: Yes. That’s a possibility.
10. Her comment: Maybe you’ll make your good friends in other ways.
11. My answer: Yes. That’s very possible. I haven’t been here long enough to plug into a lot of different outlets. And really, I’m too busy with school to be playing on a billion different playgrounds.
12. The whiny person inside of me: But making friends is usually so easy for me- people with all different kinds of personalities and mindsets and experiences.
13. The practical, patient person inside of me: Making really good new friends takes time. Getting into a comfort zone with others is not instant.
14. Whiny-me: But a lot of times it's instant.
15. And I like people. I like people in my program. I like them.
16. So wait. Wait it out
SONG: Turn the Light Down Low, Lauren Hill's mix