Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Welcome Back, Green Smoothie

It's been a while since I made a green smoothie, but my sister recently reminded me of this yummy treat. So the green smoothie made its comeback into my kitchen today. She is a looker. And delicious to boot.


In this smoothie?



1/2 frozen banana. (Notice that even though the peel is nearly black, the inside is fine. Don't toss your soft, bruised bananas! Freeze them for smoothies! Mine have been in the freezer for about 2 months, holding up just fine.)

1/2 peach, skin peeled off (farmers market)

juice from 1 lime segment

a healthy dose of ginger (I like the bite it adds.)

1 medium-sized rib of celery, quartered

1/4 Asian cucumber, peeled and segmented (farmers market)

1 large handful of spinach leaves, stems on

1 1/2 tsp honey (Yay for Austin's Whole Foods, which sells local honey that they keep hot in large metal bins.)

3 ice cubes

3 mint leaves (farmers market)

1/2 cup orange juice (not pictured)

*Note, I usually put in the banana and other soft items, put the ice in the middle, and the greens right on top . It might be psychological, but I think it's easier on my blender blades to not have to grind the ice right away.

1 comment:

  1. I used light, no sugar added coconut milk in place of orange juice the other day, and it was so good that I'm going to make it with coconut milk from here on out.

    ReplyDelete