Monday, May 11, 2009

austin wildlife.



Today, for my triathlon class, I drove way out into the hills to the home of one of my instructors. I caught some spectacular views winding up and down hills. On my way home, I slowed down as a deer crossed the road. When I looked to my left, I saw a tiny, tiny little fawn full of white spots. She was no bigger than my dog Ruby. I exhaled audibly. I wanted to stop the car and hold up traffic. I felt nervous that the baby dear would try to cross to catch up to her mother and that one of the cars behind me would not notice her and hit her.

One of my class mates said she woke up at 4 a.m. to the sound of a screaming deer. When she went out this morning, she found a dead deer that had been attacked by some other creature. The buzzards were pecking away. What a disturbing way to be woken. We speculated briefly on what could have attacked the deer. A bob cat? A mountain lion? A cayote?

Another class mate said that as she was swimming today, she panicked once imagining that a huge fish might swim up into her face. That did not happen to her, but I think it's the kind of thing that would have given me delight for the entire week. We did see a turtle swimming in the water.

I conquered a fear today. I swam in murky lake water. A 1/2 mile loop, no walls to hold onto. I remained calm the entire way. Free style and back stroke, occasionally, I paused to tread and get my bearings. But I didn't freak out over not being able to see in all of the murk. I just swam like it was a leisurely swim. I chatted with my mother. I looked at the blue sky when I took my breaths. Let's hope that Sunday goes as. Swimmingly?

*I couldn't stop to take a photo, but I found this little guy on line. Have you all heard about this dog nursing this fawn? It's an old story.

No comments:

Post a Comment