Friday, October 30, 2009

think i can.


The Little Engine that Could was one of the stories I most loved as a child. I must have been doomed to a life of always trying to, at best, finish. In recent years, it feels like I've been doing a pretty good job of finishing. So maybe in the next few years I will focus on accomplishing my goals with a greater degree of competitive spirit.

I am 98.777% certain that I am going to train for and run the Mardi Gras 1/2 Marathon that takes place in NOLA on February 28. I think I can. I think I can.

I spoke to a friend about it today, and she sent me a 12-week training schedule. This year the Mardi Gras run is going to be part of a larger event called Rock 'n Roll Marathon series. The series includes bands playing live music at every mile marker. SO. It sounds kind of fun, right? New Orleans? Music? Being in shape again just after my 35th birthday? Running with a friend on her 35th birthday? Training with another friend who's birthday will have passed in December? The only thing that could make it more fun is if Mardi Gras fell right after, but no such luck. I guess I will take what I can get.

Let the training begin. In November. For now, I am going to focus on just getting out to run at least once a week, maybe twice. I THINK I CAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment