Thursday, November 12, 2009

good, bad, ugly, and non sequitur.


Yesterday, I woke up to stories about Veteran's Day. Then I played a goofy 30-second segment from NPR in my class. Something about muggers in Wisconsin (Nebraska?) who apologized to their victim after they went through his wallet and saw he was a reserve officer.

Now that I live in Texas, there are a lot of flags flying alongside the interstate over the distance of 26 miles between school and Austin. Driving home from school, I counted all of the flags at half-mast because of the shooting in Fort Hood. And I got irrationally teary. I have a student who just went to a military ball because her boyfriend is being deployed. She's 18. This hits me the wrong way, and that's all I know to say about it.

The weekend.
Will be a grading fest. Which means that by Saturday night, I will lose my shit, cry inexplicably because I will have slowly begun fixating on every aspect of my life that is not ideal and/or on any personal goals that seem, in the midst of reading 40 freshman essays, one-after-another-after-another, unattainable.

I will try to remind myself before the grading begins that this week I have had a lot of writing ideas. I don't care for the term writer's block, but I have certainly felt something like that. Is there a synonym I can use instead? I will try to make one up before I go to sleep tonight.

(After his mother died, Jude stopped loving ice cream. -I thought of this the other day, it goes with my story about the boys. Oh those boys. They don't know if they want to be told in 3rd person or 1st person.

Idea 2 of the week: I worked at Abercrombie, and she worked at Abercrombie. In the mall? But we never worked there at the same time. Hahaha. This cracks me up. I got the idea from a cousin who shall remain nameless, but I told him right away I'd be using it. I think it will be a funny story. I love when that happens. Occasionally it does.)

Finallly, C. has 2 pieces in an event at the East Austin Studio Tour that begins this weekend. So. That's a happy happening.

Now back to 30 Rock. Grr. In spite of the fact that Padma Lakshmi is guest starring. HATE her.

No comments:

Post a Comment