Monday, March 2, 2009

albums


There's a new Facebook note floating around - What are the 15 albums that changed your life. I don't know if it's cheating to make a blog entry out of Facebook notes (I do know for a fact it's lazy, because I know that I'm feeling lazy about coming up with blog entries lately), but here I go again.

A few things: a) I couldn't narrow it down to 15, so here are 21. b) One doesn't have to say HOW or WHY these albums were life changing. So. Please take my word that in some small way, these albums helped transform my musical life. c) These are not necessarily in chronological order; the list began that way, but then chronology escaped me. d) I feel a little guilty making this list. Am I betraying other albums that have been important to me? That's what it feels like. My friend c. doesn't like making favorite book lists for this very reason.

1. Duran Duran – Union of the Snake (Seven and the Ragged Tiger - Thanks, Alex.)
2. Madonna – Like a Virgin
3. Go-Go’s – Beauty and the Beat
4. The Cure – Standing on a Beach
5. The Sugarcubes – Life’s too Good
6. U2 – War
7. Charles Mingus – Right Now
8. Neko Case and her Boyfriends – The Virginian
9. Neko Case – Blacklisted
10. Liz Phair – Exile in Guyville
11. Morphine – Cure for Pain
12. Neil Young – Harvest
13. Marvin Gaye – What’s Going On
14. The Breeders – Last Splash
15. The Pixies – Doolittle
16. Pavement – Crooked Rain
17. Built to Spill – There’s Nothing Wrong with Love
18. Bob Dylan – Nashville Skyline
19. Lauren Hill – The Miseducation of Lauren Hill
20. Andrew Bird - Weather Systems
21. Elvis Costello - This Year's Model

I could probably go on to to a list of 100. But I will stop now. Or save the other 79 for another post.

SONGS: Killing an Arab & Boys Don't Cry, The Cure

No comments:

Post a Comment