Monday, January 5, 2009

gluttony.


I am having trouble writing a new entry, but I am going to push on through this blog constipation. Mostly, I don’t know what to focus on – processing and trying to write about my first semester of school; the overly indulgent Bacchanalia-like eleven-day holiday in Baton Rouge from which I have just returned (and feel completely exhausted and full); two things foremost on my mind these days – fantasies of traveling and sorting through all of my fears and confusion about babies yay or nay; all the ducks I am trying to get in a row for a productive 2009; a few observations about BR that made me deeply sad in the face of all I love about this little green city, trying to get settled into Austin so it feels like home; my newest ventures in working out (conceived of, but yet to be implemented). I have no idea where to begin.

Lists are like safety nets, and food is comfort. So I’m going to make a list of some of the foods I ate over the last two weeks, and between safety and comfort, maybe I'll be jump started into blogging regularly in 2009.

Bear in mind that I was mostly sharing all these rich meals!

Dec. 21
Boudin balls, sautéed crabfingers, raw oysters, crabmeat stuffed mushrooms, oyster Florentine soup from The Chimes.

Fried chicken, biscuits and mashed potatoes from Popeye’s.

Dec. 22
Tomato basil soup, a 4-cheese grilled cheese sandwich on focaccia bread, a shrimp poboy from Chelsea’s.

Fried haloumi cheese, kibi, spinach pie from Roman’s.

Dec. 23
Steamed oysters, raw oysters and maybe a salad from the Chimes. Not sure what I ate besides oysters.

Dec. 24
Chicken and sausage gumbo (courtesy of c.’s mom), char-broiled fish, grilled boudin, grilled sausage.

Dec. 25
White beans, ham, dirty rice, brown n serve rolls (also c.’s mom).

Dec. 26
Seafood gumbo and salad and hush puppies from the Chimes.

Dec. 27
Shrimp poboy and onion rings from George’s.

Dec. 29
Salad and pizza and roasted garlic on bread from Digulio’s.

Dec. 30
Ribs and a sweet potato..from TJ Ribs...these are the kinds of places you eat at with mom's. But I have to admit, I enjoyed my ribs, since this is something I probably eat like once a year, if that.

Homemade pizza by my friend C. – including yummy homemade crust.

Dec. 31
BBQ shrimp poboy and sweet potato fries from Liuzza’s on the Track, NOLA

Seafood paella, mussels in garlic sauce, almond soup from Lola’s, NOLA

Jan. 1
Pancakes, eggs, bacon from Panola St. Café, NOLA

Cabbage, black-eyed peas, pork roast, etc. made by my friend S. who is a really wonderful cook.

Jan. 2
Tomato basil soup and spinach pochette from my fave. chain – La Madeleine’s.

More homemade pizza with homemade crust, a girl’s night combined cooking effort.

Jan. 3
Shrimp with angel hair pasta and baked fish (c.'s mom).

All kinds of south LA wedding reception food.

Jan. 4
Shrimp poboy, crabmeat pistolette, shrimp pistolette, crawfish poboy from Chicken on the Bayou in Henderson.

At some point at The Chimes there were cheese fries. The most awesome cheese fries. But I know I am getting some of my days mixed up and forgetting some of the delights I feasted on. Note that the crab fingers and stuffed mushrooms in the photo above are swimming in butter.

A lot of eating with this alarm blaring in the back of my head: THESE THINGS WILL NOT BE AT YOUR DISPOSAL IN AUSTIN. EAT EAT EAT. And yet another alarm, nagging: STOP EATING SO MUCH.

I did not run one time while in Baton Rouge, though I had the best of intentions. I did get out and walk a few times. Once downtown, and a couple of times through City Park.

This week I begin eating salads and nuts and veggies and fish NOT smothered in butter like they're going out of style.

No comments:

Post a Comment