Thursday, January 29, 2009

morning.

9:20 a.m. I’ve been up since 8:45 a.m. I’ve had breakfast. I’ve read email and facebook like they are the morning paper. I’m in my pjs on the couch and under a blanket. My living room is chilly, but morning is my favorite time here. It’s when the light is good.

I was supposed to wake up at 7 a.m. So much for that.

In a bit, I’m going to read a book – Seize the Day for my Saul Bellow class. I started it last night. I hope to have some coffee while I read, but that all depends on whether c. will make the delicious coffee he makes. I think he will. I hope so.

After I read, I’ll dress for school. Gather schoolbooks, some lunch, my water bottle. I’ll drive down to San Marcos.

Today, I give my first essay-writing workshop. Kids will come to me, and I’ll sort of guide them through their topics, thesis, essay structure, etc. Blah. I’m not really excited about that if you want to know the truth.

I just turned in a story, but I am already thinking about the next one. What will I write? I am already thinking about summer. I am already trying to figure out how many stories I currently have that would make sense in a collection together (5 for sure). I am already wondering if this summer I need to take one of those stories and begin turning it into a novel. I’m thinking I’ll try to do some freelance work, try to make my first ‘business’ contacts in Austin. I’m also considering applying for a summer IA at school. I’m doubtful I’ll travel. Practical seems to be winning over magical. What can I say about that, except that it’s disappointing.

I did not sleep well last night. I felt anxious and distracted, but by nothing in particular. Just now I yawned a great big wake-up-body, wake-up-brain kind of yawn. I could easily get back in bed and sleep for another hour. But the dogs are at the back door, Ruby barking her, LET ME IN bark. Hey! LET ME INSIDE.

I hear coffee being ground.

And now the day is here before me. A thing to begin.

SONG: Behind the House, Neko Case

No comments:

Post a Comment